About the Law Society Council Election
The Law Society Council includes two City Councillors, two Suburban Councillors, two Country Councillors, two Corporate Councillors, two Government Councillors, two Large Firm Councillors, one Young Lawyer Councillor and eight Councillors and any Senior Office Bearer whose elected term of office has expired (for more information about the Council, click here).
The work required of Law Society Councillors is demanding and involves a substantial commitment of time and effort. Members of the Council, other than Office Bearers, might expect to commit, on an average, the equivalent of at least one half day a week to Law Society business, excluding reading and preparation times.
The Council currently meets monthly and more frequently when required (Special Council meetings). In addition, Councillors are required to serve on committees and attend a considerable number of functions arranged by the Law Society from time to time.
Seven Councillors are due to retire as Councillors at the Annual General Meeting of the Law Society which will be held at 4.30pm on Thursday 24 October 2019.
Six vacancies are to be filled through the 2019 Law Society Council election, as follows:
- Large Firm Councillor
- Country Councillor
- Suburban Councillor
- Corporate Councillor
Each of these positions is for a three-year term. The seventh vacancy is to be filled by the appointment of the Young Lawyer Councillor for a 1-year term in accordance with clause 8.1.8 of the Law Society’s Articles of Association.
All Solicitor Members are eligible to stand for election. Please consider nominating for Council.
Why you should nominate
In nominating for the 2019 Council election, you can play a critical role in ensuring the profession benefits from leadership that understands and adapts to the changing demands of practice. This is your opportunity to make a difference in your profession and your community. Councillors gain a unique insight into the workings of the legal profession.
Law Society Councillors lead the profession and are ideally placed to consider the issues, pressures and opportunities that members face in daily practice. Electing trusted leaders strengthens the future of the profession.
You can make a difference.
- Ensure you are a Solicitor Member of the Law Society.
- Note the list of vacancies to be filled at the 2019 Law Society Council election.
- Complete and sign the nomination form, ensuring signatures of at least seven Solicitor Members in support of your nomination.
- Send your signed nomination form to the Company Secretary at the Law Society by email to firstname.lastname@example.org , by facsimile to 9926 0166, or by mail, document exchange or hand delivery to 170 Phillip Street (DX362), Sydney 2000. Your completed nomination must be received at the Law Society prior to 4.00pm on Monday 16 September 2019.
Prior to 4.00pm on Monday 16 September 2019, please also provide to the Law Society a 100-word biographical note and a recent portrait photograph for inclusion in the official election documents. The information and photo will be published on the Law Society website and in the Voting Instruction & Candidate Information election materials.
Online voting - External Host Provider
An email with your “Invitation to Vote” will be forwarded from BigPulse to Solicitor Members with a unique email address during the last week in September. Solicitor Members with generic email addresses can vote by completing the printed ballot paper which will be sent to you by document exchange (DX) or by post.
The 2019 Law Society elections will again be hosted by BigPulse, a web-based online service provider. BigPulse has conducted online elections for the Law Society for the past seven years.
Remember - you can only vote once.
Monday 19 August 2019 – Notification of Election
Notice of Forthcoming Election is sent to all Solicitor Members via the Law Society’s Monday Briefs.
Monday 19 August 2019 to 4.00 pm Monday 16 September 2019 - Nominations
- Nominees must submit a Nomination Form, signed by not less than seven other Solicitor Members of the Law Society and by the Nominee.
- Nominations to be received by the Company Secretary by 4.00pm Monday 16 September 2019 by email (email@example.com), by facsimile to 9926 0166, or by post, document exchange or hand delivery to 170 Phillip Street (DX362), Sydney 2000.
- The following additional materials to be received by the Secretary at the Law Society by 4.00pm Monday 16 September 2019, for inclusion in the voting/online materials:
- A brief biographical note (limit 100 words).
- A recent high resolution portrait photograph (not more than 12 months old).
Tuesday 24 September 2019 to 2.00pm Monday 21 October 2019 - Voting
Online: The 2019 Election is again hosted by BigPulse, the Law Society’s nominated external service provider. Emails will be sent from the domain name mail1.bigpulse.com. If you are a member and have a personalised/unique email address, you will receive a 2019 Council Election “Invitation to Vote” email with instructions on how to link to the electronic voting form. You will require your Law Society Identification Number (LSID) to log in. If you have a personalised/unique email address and have not received an email inviting you to vote, please contact your IT Department to confirm that the email has not been blocked by your organisation's firewall or spam filter.
Printed Ballot: All Solicitor Members will also receive voting instructions, a printed ballot paper and two return envelopes (inner and outer envelopes). You can vote for less than or equal to, but not more than, the number of candidates (6) required to be elected to fill available vacancies.
You can only vote once. Voting closes at 2.00pm Monday 21 October 2019.
Monday 21 October 2019 – Ballot closes at 2.00pm
Ballots cannot be accepted after this time.
Thursday 24 October 2019 – Annual General Meeting
At the Annual General Meeting, to be held at the Law Society premises, Level 3, 170 Phillip Street Sydney NSW at 4.30pm, successful candidates are announced and will hold office effective from 24 October 2019.