Please note: Due to the current COVID-19 situation, PSU solicitors are working remotely and unable to answer calls. We are monitoring the inboxes regularly so please leave a message with your contact details and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Regulatory Compliance Support Unit (RCSU)
The Regulatory Compliance Support Unit offers solicitors confidential assistance to prevent compliance issues from escalating into complaints and disciplinary actions. The RCSU is staffed by two experienced solicitors in the Law Society’s Professional Standards Department, who have detailed knowledge of the Uniform Law and an understanding of solicitors’ working lives. The RCSU can assist you with the following queries:
As sole practitioners, sole principals of incorporated legal practices and sole principals of unincorporated legal practices, (‘sole principals’) you are particularly vulnerable to disruption if you are suddenly unable to manage your law practice.
For more information, please see our Contingency plan for sole principals: how to nominate your personal representative and an alternate.
- Choosing a law practice structure – to commence an Incorporated Legal Practice read our Incorporated Legal Practice Toolkit.
- Checklists for establishing a law practice:
- Practice Management – for tips on how to manage your practice read the Compliance review toolkit.
- Business Development – for a wealth of articles on developing your practice read the update on Advertising Legal Services
- Trust account issues – see our Trust account seminar notes
- How to apply for your practising certificate, conditions of practice and more
- Supervised legal practice - What is it? When and how can you apply to remove condition?
- Show cause/disclosure issues – find out if and when you need to disclose certain events to the Law Society
- Practising foreign law in NSW – how to register as an Australian-registered foreign lawyer
- Interstate practitioners – do you need to notify the Law Society of your practice in NSW
View our range of fact sheets, including regulatory obligations for law practices and individuals.