Information about helplines and mental health services provided by a range of organisations.
If you need support, are struggling to carry-out day-to-day activities or have experienced difficulties coping for two weeks or more, consider seeking professional support. A range of organisations, completely independent of the Law Society, provide crisis support, mental health resources or online programs.
Crisis support and other helplines
If your or someone else’s life is in danger, phone 000 immediately.
Online mental health resources
- Head to Health – An Australian Department of Health initiative bringing together comprehensive information about apps, online programs, online forums and phone services of respected Australian mental health organisations.
- Beyond Blue – Mental health information and support including access to a trained mental health professional via phone, text or email, and online supportive forums.
- Black Dog Institute – Mental health research, information and support.
- Australian Psychological Society – The APS is Australia’s peak body for psychologists in Australia. The website contains a directory which can be used to locate a psychologist, information about seeing a psychologist and articles addressing common psychology topics/mental health concerns.
- Minds Count Foundation - An independent, charitable organisation with the objective of decreasing work-related psychological ill-health in the legal community and promoting workplace psychological health and safety.
Back to top
Online mental health treatment programs
If you are experiencing difficulties coping and would prefer to access support online, there are several online services and treatment programs, many of which are offered either free of charge or at reduced cost. The below services and programs are completely independent of the Law Society of NSW.
- myCompass – Free, personalised mental health strategies to help manage thoughts, feelings and behaviours that cause concern.
- Black Dog Institute Online Clinic – Free, mental health assessment tool and personalised report with suggested support services/resources.
- This Way Up – Online treatment programs, education and research to help improve mental health, wellbeing and physical health difficulties.
- MindSpot – Free, telephone and online clinic for people experiencing stress, worry, anxiety, low mood, depression and chronic pain.
- moodgym – Free, online self-help program designed to help users prevent and manage symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Beyond Blue New Access – Free coaching program to help people cope if feeling stressed, anxious or overwhelmed about everyday life issues (such as work, study, relationships, health or loneliness).
Back to top