Jennifer Windsor - President, NSW Young Lawyers
I am delighted to serve as the President of NSW Young Lawyers for 2019. The organisation is coming into its 56th year, and our membership stands at over 15,000. NSW Young Lawyers is the largest professional organisation of its kind. Since our inception, we have strived to make an impact by delivering a diverse range of services to members, the legal profession, and the community.
In 2019, we will continue working to ensure that NSW Young Lawyers leads innovation and change in the profession, empowers members to develop and engage in projects and programs that benefit our Members and the community, and give members a voice in law reform and access to justice issues.
Patron and charity
Each year, NSW Young Lawyers is fortunate to have as its Patron a distinguished member of the legal community. The 2019 Patron is Ms Jane Needham SC of 13th Floor St James Hall. Further to her distinguished career as a barrister, Ms Needham was formerly a Deputy President of the Administrative Decisions Tribunal and a former President of the Bar Association.
The charity that NSW Young Lawyers will be supporting in 2019 is the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC). PIAC tackles difficult social problems that impact on the lives of many Australians, conducting test cases and strategic litigation in the public interest, and providing legal assistance, policy advice and training. PIAC is dedicated to obtaining social justice for disadvantaged individuals as well as creating change at the broader, systemic level.
2019 leadership team
The new leadership team was elected at the Annual Assembly held in October 2018. I am very excited to be working with the new team of Office Bearers and Executive Councillors.
I introduce the following:
I congratulate those who have joined the leadership team of NSW Young Lawyers and look forward to working with those who will continue to sit on Council in 2019.
2018 achievements and thanks
NSW Young Lawyers was involved in many successful projects and initiatives during 2018 under the leadership of David Turner. Some of these include:
- Inaugural Innovation Summit
- Upgrade to our communications platforms
- Practitioners Guide to Social Media and the Law
- Practitioners Guide to Briefing Experts
- Criminal Law Careers Guide
Our 15 Committees are to be commended on their outstanding achievements in 2018. They are the cornerstones of our organisation and they continue to produce a wide range of exciting events, networking opportunities and services for our diverse membership and the community.
We are delighted to continue our partnership with Unisearch Expert Opinion Services.
Also, on behalf of NSW Young Lawyers, I would like to extend a very big thank you to two wonderful leaders in our profession:
- Firstly, our outgoing Immediate Past President, Emily Ryan, for her dedication and leadership during her term as President, and her mentorship during her time as Immediate Past President. Emily has contributed so much to NSW Young Lawyers, and the organisation has benefited enormously from her inclusive and open-minded leadership style, fearless determination and endless positivity.
- Secondly, our Immediate Past President David Turner, for his decency and tireless advocacy in the interests of the members of NSW Young Lawyers, and particularly for his pursuit of positive change and innovation in the profession. David has been a wise and encouraging leader during his year as President, and I look forward to working with David again this year.
Events you can't afford to miss
Almost every week there is a NSW Young Lawyers event on that is sure to inspire, delight or inform you. However, make sure you don't miss our flagship events which include:
If you have thought about getting involved, but haven’t yet, I encourage you come along to an event or join one of our 15 committees . Getting involved is a great way for you to network with like-minded professionals, develop experience in law reform and submissions-writing, and learn about the law and your profession.
If you have any questions about NSW Young Lawyers, please feel free to send me an email.
President | NSW Young Lawyers