The Law Society of New South Wales President's Medal
The Law Society of New South Wales President's Medal is an annual award that recognises a NSW solicitor and Law Society member who has made a significant personal and professional contribution to the improvement of law and justice in the community.
Nominations for the 2021 President’s Medal are open now. Nominations close on Wednesday 29 September 2021.
You can see the list of past President's Medal winners here.
A person may be nominated for the Law Society’s President’s Medal if the following criteria are satisfied:
- The person must be a current or former NSW solicitor and a member of The Law Society of New South Wales. Currently serving Law Society Councillors are excluded from nomination.
- The person is of high standing in the NSW legal profession.
- The person has made a personal and professional contribution which demonstrates achievements in one of more of the following areas:
- improvement in community access to justice
- improvement in NSW or national legal policy or legislation which delivers significant benefits to the NSW community
- significant service or support to NSW solicitors
- promotion or defence of the rule of law
- improvements in the administration of justice in NSW.
Persons may self nominate or be nominated by someone else via the President's Medal nomination portal. Currently serving Law Society Councillors are excluded from nomination. Each nomination must be accompanied by documentation which:
- outlines relevant current and previous professional positions held by the nominee
- explicitly addresses each of the three eligibility criteria
- provides the names and contact details of at least two referees who may be asked to attest to the achievements on which the nomination is based.
- Completed nominations must be received by Wednesday 29 September 2021.
If you would like more information please email email@example.com.
Nominations are assessed and the successful candidate determined by a selection panel comprising three people. It is chaired by the President of the Law Society.
The selection panel receives written applications and may elect to undertake interviews with candidates or to seek further information from those nominating the person. Cross checks are also made with Professional Standards to ensure that those being considered are fit and proper persons.