The Law Society Library offers a practical collection of publications which aims to meet the information needs of solicitors practising in NSW.
Law Society Library services during COVID-19
As of Monday 28 June 2021, the Library is still operational, and we will continue to provide the profession with access to resources from the Law Society Library collection as well as assistance with research. Please note:
• Access to the Law Society Library on Level 1, 170 Phillip Street is closed until further notice;
• The Law Society Library Catalogue is available 24/7 to search and check the availability of both hard copy and digital resources. Click on the ‘Search the Library catalogue’ option under the Library photo banner at the top of this page and then select the Guided Search option in the left-hand menu of the Catalogue;
• Requests to borrow hard copy and digital resources must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org;
• Hard copy resources will be forwarded to you via DX or Express Post. Resources will not be put aside for you to collect from either Reception or the Mailroom;
• All returns must be suitably wrapped and made either by post or professional courier service to Level 1, 170 Phillip Street, Sydney NSW 2000 or by DX to 362, Sydney. Reception and the Mailroom will not be accepting the return of resources in person.
• Standard loan periods remain in place. The timely return of resources is greatly appreciated. The Library will not be renewing loans until further notice.
• Access to the Law Society Library’s online databases remain unavailable;
• Assistance with research such as sentencing statistics, online searches, supply of cases etc can still be requested. Please email email@example.com. Some services may continue to attract fees which will be quoted before proceeding.
Thank you for your patience whilst we work through how we can best meet your information needs in this current climate.
Services & Facilities
Solicitors with current NSW practising certificates may avail themselves of the following Library services and facilities:
- An 18,000-volume library collection comprising of law reports, practice books, text books and journals.
- A curated digital collection of key practice books and text books.
- An easy to navigate library catalogue with 'select and request' functionality.
- Directional and research assistance from an experienced team of librarians. Click here for associated costs.
- Postal and DX deliveries to country and suburban solicitors.
- Quiet study areas when attending the Library.
- Public access terminals with complimentary access to the internet as well as to a number of online subscription services.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Self-service printing and photocopying facilities. Click here for associated costs.
- A selection of daily newspapers for reading when attending the Library.
|Photocopying / printing
||25c per page
||$25.00 for up to 50 pages
and 50c per page thereafter
|Library card application
||$10.00 per item
Replacement costs for non-returned items may also be applied
Payment options are cash, cheque or EFTPOS. The EFTPOS minimum is $1.00.
The Law Society of New South Wales
170 Phillip Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
DX 362 SYDNEY
Hours of Operation
9am - 4pm Monday to Friday.
The Library is not available on public holidays.