The Law Society Library offers a practical collection of publications which aims to meet the information needs of solicitors practising in NSW
Services & Facilities
Solicitors with current NSW practising certificates may avail themselves of the following Library services and facilities:
- An 18,000-volume library collection comprising of law reports, practice books, text books and journals.
- A curated digital collection of key practice books and text books.
- An easy to navigate library catalogue with 'select and request' functionality.
- Directional and research assistance from an experienced team of librarians. Click here for associated costs.
- Postal and DX deliveries to country and suburban solicitors.
- Quiet study areas when attending the Library.
- Public access terminals with complimentary access to the internet as well as to a number of online subscription services.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Self-service printing and photocopying facilities. Click here for associated costs.
- A selection of daily newspapers for reading when attending the Library.
Impact of COVID-19 on Law Society Library services
As of Tuesday, 17 March 2020 the Library is still operational and we will continue to provide the profession with access to resources from the Law Society Library collection as well as assistance with research. Please note:
- Access to Level 1 is closed until further notice;
- The Law Society Library Catalogue is available 24/7 to search and to check the availability of both hard copy and digital resources. Click on the ‘Search the Library catalogue’ option under the Library photo banner at the top of this page and then select the Guided Search option in the left-hand menu of the Catalogue.
- Requests to borrow hard copy and digital resources must be emailed to email@example.com
- Hard copy resources will be forwarded to you via DX or Express Post. Resources will not be put aside for you for collection from either Reception or the Mailroom.
- All returns must be made by courier using a professional courier service or by post to Level 1, 170 Phillip Street Sydney NSW 2000 or, if you are a member or customer of the DX, to 362 Sydney. Sorry, we are unable to receive resources returned in person due to health and safety reasons.
- Loan periods for hard copy resources have been extended to 14 days to accommodate Australia Post's current delivery timeframes. Loan periods for digital resources remain at 7 days. The renewal of loans is not available at this time.
- Access to the Law Society Library’s online databases remains unavailable.
- Assistance with research such as sentencing statistics, online searches, supply of cases etc can still be requested. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Some services may continue to attract fees which will be quoted before proceeding.
Thank you for your patience whilst we work through how we can best meet your information needs in this current climate.
|Photocopying / printing
||25c per page
||$25.00 for up to 50 pages
and 50c per page thereafter
|Library card application
||$10.00 per item
Replacement costs for non-returned items may also be applied
Payment options are cash, cheque or EFTPOS. The EFTPOS minimum is $10.00.
The Law Society of New South Wales
170 Phillip Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
DX 362 SYDNEY
Hours of Operation
8am - 5pm Monday to Friday with entry to Level 1 restricted from 4.45pm.
The Library is not available on public holidays.