The Law Society Library offers a practical collection of publications which aims to meet the information needs of solicitors practising in NSW
Services & Facilities
Solicitors with current NSW practising certificates may avail themselves of the following Library services and facilities:
- An 18,000-volume library collection comprising of law reports, practice books, text books and journals.
- A curated digital collection of key practice books and text books.
- An easy to navigate library catalogue with 'select and request' functionality.
- Directional and research assistance from an experienced team of librarians. Click here for associated costs.
- Postal and DX deliveries to country and suburban solicitors.
- Quiet study areas when attending the Library.
- Public access terminals with complimentary access to the internet as well as to a number of online subscription services.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Self-service printing and photocopying facilities. Click here for associated costs.
- A selection of daily newspapers for reading when attending the Library.
Law Society Library services during COVID-19
The Law Society Library on Level 1, 170 Phillip Street is open from 9am - 4pm, Monday to Friday.
In addition to the established Library rules outlined at the bottom of this page, the following conditions of entry have been put in place:
- Registration upon entry to the Law Society building using the Service NSW app is required.
- Masks are highly recommended. Please remember to bring yours.
- Desks, public access terminals and photocopiers must be wiped down by patrons before and after use. Disinfecting wipes are provided throughout the Library.
- Stationery including staplers will not be provided. Please remember to bring all required material with you or purchase it from nearby stationers.
- Library resources used within the Library and not intended to be borrowed must be placed in the quarantine boxes which are clearly marked throughout the Library. These resources will be quarantined for up to 48 hours.
- Library resources available on the shelves will not be put aside for collection.
- Postal delivery is not available to Sydney CBD addresses. DX delivery is available however, city solicitors are encouraged to attend the Library to collect loans.
- Loan periods for hard copy resources have been extended to 14 days to accommodate Australia Post’s current delivery timeframes. Loan periods for digital resources remain at 7 days. The timely return of resources is greatly appreciated. The Library will not be renewing loans until further notice.
Click here for more information about borrowing resources of visiting the Library.
|Photocopying / printing
||25c per page
||$25.00 for up to 50 pages
and 50c per page thereafter
|Library card application
||$10.00 per item
Replacement costs for non-returned items may also be applied
Payment options are cash, cheque or EFTPOS. The EFTPOS minimum is $1.00.
The Law Society of New South Wales
170 Phillip Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
DX 362 SYDNEY
Hours of Operation
9am - 4pm Monday to Friday.
The Library is not available on public holidays.