Young Justice is an annual program run by NSW Young Lawyers which offers school students an opportunity to explore, learn and discuss issues of law and justice with inspiring professionals and experts in the legal industry.
We are again running the Young Justice Program for Years 10 and 11 throughout 2020. The next session of the program will be in April – teachers and schools, please watch this space for updates on how to reserve a place for your students.
During the program, students will:
- Explore three very different types of legal careers presented by young legal professionals.
- Learn and apply legal problem-solving skills in a case sentencing workshop before a real-life Judicial Officer.
- Discuss the importance of the rule of law and how it relates to contemporary issues in Australia and around the world.
The Program aims to:
- Promote interaction between schools.
- Develop legal problem-solving skills.
- Improve debating and public-speaking skills.
- Build engagement and interest in contemporary legal issues.
- Provide insight into the legal profession and career pathways.
Dates 9 June, 1 September and 1 December
Time 8.30am – 3.15pm
Venue Arrival and keynote address The Supreme Court of New South Wales, Law Courts Building, 184 Phillip St, Sydney 2000
Workshops The Law Society of New South Wales, 170 Phillip St, Sydney 2000
Morning Tea and Lunch catering will be provided for students and accompanying teachers on the day. Lunch will take place at a nearby park, weather permitting.
Cost: $40.00 per student*
*To encourage justice education, NSW Young Lawyers and The Law Society of New South Wales subsidises almost the entire cost of students to participate in the Program. The cost of $40.00 per student includes morning tea and lunch catering for the students and an accompanying teacher or parent.
Session two - Tuesday, 9 June 2020 - Register
Session three - Tuesday, 1 September 2020 - Register
Session four - Tuesday, 1 December 2020 - Register
Who can attend?
We invite your school to select up to 10 students from Years 10 or 11 to attend the Program. We recommend that you select students who have demonstrated an interest in social justice issues and pursuing a career in the legal industry.
There is capacity for a total of 100 students (maximum of 10 from each school) to attend the full program this year and schools will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis. We encourage diversity amongst the participants.
NSW Young Lawyers Office
Call: (02) 9926 0276