The Criminal Law Committee reviews and comments on law and policy affecting criminal justice. Our initiatives focus on:
- the interests of people charged with criminal offences
- the rights of prisoners, including the reduction of the prison population
- the interests of intellectually disabled, mentally ill and other people as they are affected by the criminal law
- access to community support services, diversionary and restorative justice options in rural and remote areas
- the rights of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Australians
- multicultural issues as they relate to the criminal law.
To help criminal law practitioners, the Committee also provides the following resources.