The St George-Sutherland Regional Law Society is an incorporated association dedicated to furthering the best interests of its members and to upholding the ethical standards and public status of the legal profession.
Its members comprise current and former practising members of the NSW legal profession who work and/or live in the St George-Sutherland area and law students. Membership is open to individuals meeting these criteria.
The association organises 5 dinner events throughout the year which feature academic presentations from members of the legal profession and presentations from guest speakers such as barristers, members of the legal profession and Judicial Officers who vividly recount their stories and experiences of practising or presiding over the law. CLE points are available for those who attend the CLE presentation before the dinner meeting.
The association also has an active Young Lawyers section and Young Lawyers’ functions are held periodically, in addition to the members’ dinner meetings.
Being part of the association allows for the frequent exchange of views and ideas between members on matters affecting them in the practice of their profession.
Last year was an action packed year for our regional law society. The excitement included the following events:
- Our life member, Local Court Magistrate Chris O’Brien, was appointed a deputy Chief Magistrate of New South Wales Local Court. We congratulate him on this excellent achievement.
- We also held our first separate Young Lawyers' get together. The event was a cocktail night at Old Joe's Bar, Cronulla. Approximately 20 of our youngest and brightest members were present to enjoy each other’s company and tips for surviving in the profession. We hope to follow up this event with a “Speed Mentoring” night, where younger members will get the chance to spend time with their senior and experienced colleagues.
- Finally we hosted the Hon. Mr Michael Kirby AM as our dinner speaker for our Annual General Meeting. The night was a huge success and our members were enthralled by Mr Kirby’s musings on life and the legal profession.
- We participated as a group in the annual Sutherland to Surf fun run and walk and gathered at the end in our marquee for refreshments and banter. We donated $6,000.00 to 2 local charities from funds raised by us from this event.
- About 125 members, and some non-members, attended our annual CLE day at Club Cronulla where 7 CLE points were available for attending all sessions.
You are welcome to apply to join our law society if you are a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and reside or work in the St George-Sutherland Shire area or if you are studying law or have completed a law course and are not yet working.
We have recently introduced student membership and pride ourselves on creating opportunities through networking for our youngest of members.
For prices and other membership details, please see our membership form.
H A Miedzinski Lawyers
7/266 Princes Highway
Sylvania NSW 2224
T: (02) 9522 2200
F: (02) 9522 2211
Corbett Jessop Law
Level 2, 34 Banksia Road
Caringbah NSW 2229
Tel: (02) 9525 7300
Fax: (02) 9540 1321