NSW Young lawyers
NSW Young Lawyers is the largest body of early-career lawyers and law students in Australia, with 15 Committees each dedicated to a particular area of law.
Active, innovative and dynamic, we support practitioners in the early stages of their career development, giving them the opportunity to extend their network, expand their knowledge, advance their career and contribute to the profession and community.
To join the NSW Young Lawyers are:
- Legal practitioners (including barristers) admitted to practice in NSW who are under the age of 36
- Legal practitioners (including barristers) in their first 5 years of practice post admission in NSW
- Students enrolled in an approved course of studies, the successful completion of which leads to the entitlement to apply for admission to practise as a lawyer or legal practitioner in NSW
- Associate Members of the Law Society who meet one of the first three criteria
Several committees of NSW Young Lawyers have researched and written free guides, helpful booklets and pamphlets aimed at early-career lawyers.
NSW Young Lawyers has standing positions on law and justice policy issues that are of importance or interest to its members. Those positions are published in the form of policy statements. Policy statements are prepared in close consultation with the members of NSW Young Lawyers, to ensure that those positions are reflective of the views of the membership as a whole.
NSW Young Lawyers committees are active in influencing and shaping government policy and legislation through their written submissions.
- NSW Young Lawyers deeply concerned by sexual harassment in the profession, June 2020
- Australian Marriage Law Survey, November 2017
- Medical and humanitarian evacuations from Manus Island, November 2017
- Federal Budget and Family Law, May 2017
- Thousands of asylum seekers have protection visas lodgement times slashed, March 2017
- Refugee Assistance Project, August 2016
Keeping our members ‘in the know’ is important to us.
Each month, we will email the latest edition of our e-newsletter Debrief to all NSW Young Lawyers members.
Debrief contains feature articles on issues affecting the legal profession as well as information on our activities, upcoming events and committees.