What is Specialist Accreditation?
Specialist Accreditation is a structured peer assessment program which enable practitioners to gain recognition as an expert in their chosen area of practice. Solicitors who fulfil the requirements of the Program are entitled to use, after their name, the words ‘Accredited Specialist’ in the nominated area of practice.
As such, accreditation helps the general public and profession identify solicitors who have demonstrated expertise in a particular area of law.
The Specialist Accreditation Program aims to:
- Provide the profession and the public with a reliable means of identifying practitioners with proven expertise in their chosen area of practice;
- Contribute to and encourage the continued development and improvement of the standards, quality and delivery of legal services;
- Promote the advancement of legal education, knowledge and skills; and
- Provide practitioners with the opportunity to demonstrate their expertise in their chosen area of practice and to have this recognised.
Why become an Accredited Specialist?
Gaining accreditation is a significant achievement which offers practitioners a recognised means of differentiation and demonstrated expertise.
In an increasingly complex and competitive market, the expertise and professionalism which forms the cornerstone of Specialist Accreditation remains an easily identifiable choice for consumers of legal services.
Accreditation provides practitioners with the opportunity to:
- Promote and highlight expert legal knowledge, skills and services for the public and the profession
- Build new and strengthen existing relationships with peers
- Support and continued learning and development with access to CPD for Accredited Specialists
- Maintain standards and contribute to the future of the profession by joining a Specialist Accreditation advisory committee.
Candidates are encouraged to view the 2019 Guide to Application and Assessment.
Specialist Accreditation Board
The Council of the Law Society of NSW established the Specialist Accreditation Board to which it delegates responsibility for the Specialist Accreditation Program.
Current Specialist Accreditation Board members are:
Richard Harvey (Chair), Jane Glowrey (Deputy Chair), Darryl Browne, Grant Christmas, Jacqueline Dawson, John Van de Poll, Naomi Tancred, and Robert Tumeth.