What we do
The International Law Committee (ILC) provides a platform for members with an interest in international affairs and international law (both public and private) to come together to discuss international trends and legal developments. Overall, the committee seeks to provide a supportive environment for law students and young lawyers to advance their career in international law and foster valuable professional and personal relationships.
- The International Law Committee (ILC) meets monthly to organise committee projects and to discuss current developments in international law, international affairs and professional practice. At these monthly meetings members get the opportunity to learn from distinguished speakers about issues ranging from human rights, criminal, humanitarian law, investment treaty and cross border disputes, to name a few.
- Members are encouraged to present on topics of interest and practise presenting to their peers in a supportive environment. Additional initiatives include drafting publications, writing submissions to Senate inquires, organising panel events and a series on various international law subjects.
- Annual events ran by the committee include the NSW Young Lawyers and Chartered Institute of Arbitrators International Commercial Arbitration Moot as well as the International Law Seminar Series.
- The International Law Committee also offers networking opportunities for its members through social events and collaborations with international organisations such as the Australian Institute of International Affairs (AIIA), International Bar Association (IBA), International Law Association (ILA) and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Australia (CIArb).
- A key focus for the committee is to provide its members with opportunities to develop professional skills such as management of committee projects, events and legal writing as well as encouraging its members to propose ideas.
Who we are
Chair: Katlyn Kraus
Vice Chair: Akash Bhattacharjee
Secretary: Barnaby McDonald
When do we meet?
11 February 2020 6:00pm
10 March 2020 6:00pm
14 April 2020 6:00pm
12 May 2020 6:00pm
9 June 2020 6:00pm
14 July 2020 6:00pm
11 August 2020 6:00pm
8 September 2020 6:00pm
13 October 2020 6:00pm
10 November 2020 6:00pm
Please note: NSW Young Lawyers committee meetings are currently being hosted via Zoom. To find out more information about our meetings visit our Facebook page or email email@example.com.