What we do
The Animal Law Committee aims to educate the legal profession and wider community about the importance of defending animals from abuse and neglect. The committee is made up of a diverse range of individuals that have a passion and desire to use their legal skills to improve the lives of animals. The committee gives members the opportunity to discuss current laws, regulations and policies with other like-minded individuals and provides young lawyers with a platform to further their legal knowledge.
- The committee regularly organises guest speakers to attend their monthly meetings with the aim of boosting the knowledge of members and increasing interest in different areas of animal law and advocacy.
- The committee aims to promote academic exploration in the field of animal law, and regularly organises essay competitions and one-day conferences featuring eminent guest speakers such as The Hon Michael Kirby AC CMG.
- The committee hosts documentary screenings, networking events and visits to animal sanctuaries. Members are also welcome to participate in local animal protection events and join the Committee at events such as the annual Cruelty Free Festival.
- The committee works on a number of resources throughout the year, including their plain English legal publications. These publications are written by members of the committee with the aim of increasing public knowledge of laws relating to the treatment of animals.
- Members also have the opportunity to take a more proactive role by contributing to law and policy development, by working with the committee to conduct research and make submissions to government.
Who we are
Chair: Daniel Cung
Vice Chair: Giulia Prosperi-Porta
Secretary: Shar Doudman
When do we meet?
24 February 2020 6:00pm
30 March 2020 6:00pm
27 April 2020 6:00pm
25 May 2020 6:00pm
29 June 2020 6:00pm
27 July 2020 6:00pm
24 August 2020 6:00pm
28 September 2020 6:00pm
26 October 2020 6:00pm
30 November 2020 6:00pm
Please note: NSW Young Lawyers committee meetings are currently being hosted via Zoom. To find out more information about our meetings visit our Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.