Problems with


What should I do if someone owes me money?

The first thing you should do when someone owes you money is to speak to them to find out why they have not paid. After all, they may have simply overlooked it.

If they are struggling to pay you back, you may be able to negotiate some kind of payment arrangement which keeps the relationship amicable.

If they simply will not or can not pay you should see your solicitor, who will advise you on what course of action you should take, based on the estimated cost and your likelihood of being paid back.

If the debt is more than $1,000 your solicitor will ask the debtor to pay interest as well as your legal costs. Interest will keep accruing on their debt until they pay it. Your solicitor will tell you the amount you should be able to recover.

That said, the first thing your solicitor will probably do is to write a letter of demand. Often just receiving one of these is enough to make someone pay.

Find out more at

How can a solicitor help?

If you owe money – or if someone owes you – there are many ways a solicitor can help. Here are just some of them:

  • Advising you on the best course of action for recovering a debt
  • Advising you on how to dispute a debt
  • Negotiating a payment arrangement on your behalf
  • Advising you on making a counter-claim or applying to pay by instalment
  • Running your claim, or defending it, in court.

Get in touch with a solicitor

If you do not yet have a solicitor, do not worry. We have made it easy to find one near you through our online Find a lawyer service.