If you need legal help and are looking for a law firm, the Law Society of NSW Solicitor Referral Service (SRS) can provide you with a referral.
How to request a referral
There are three ways you can request a referral:
- Complete an Online Referral Request. This is the fastest and most convenient option. A referral will be emailed to you within minutes of completing the form.
- Email email@example.com with your contact details and requested criteria. A referral will be emailed to you (Monday to Friday – same business day service for emails received before 4pm).
- Call (02) 9926 0333 between 9am–12pm and 1pm–4pm and leave your name and contact number. An Access to Justice Team member will return your call (Monday to Friday – same business day service for messages received before 4pm).
How the SRS works
Where possible, we maintain a database of around 1,600 private law firms who have registered their details, areas of law and other practice information with us. This allows us to easily search for firms that are likely to meet your individual needs and quickly provide you with their contact details.
We will find up to three firms that are conveniently located for you and which offer legal services in the area of law you need assistance in. If you ask, we can include other criteria in your search, such as firms with solicitors who:
- make Legal Aid applications
- make home, hospital or prison visits
- are prepared to take calls after hours in criminal matters
- are fluent in languages other than English
- have foreign law experience
- are female
- are Accredited Specialists (for more information visit the Specialist Accreditation Scheme page).
What happens after your request is received?
After we have received your referral request, you will receive a letter – by fax, email or post (or printout if using the online service) – listing the contact details of up to three firms. Once you have received the referral letter it is up to you to make contact with the law firms. The firms on your letter are under no obligation to provide legal services to you.