The Law Society of New South Wales President's Medal is an annual award that recognises significant personal and professional contributions to the betterment of law and justice in the community by a NSW solicitor and member of the Law Society of NSW.
Nominations for the 2018 President’s Medal will open in August 2018. The winner of the 2018 President’s Medal will be announced at the Law Society’s 2018 Annual Members Dinner.
Winners of this medal since its inception in 2009 are David Giddy (2009), Glenn Thompson (2010), Matthew Myers (2011), Stuart Tipple (2012), Sam Macedone (2013), Lieutenant Commander Shannon Richards (2014), joint winners Tony Cahill & Frere Green (2015), Deng Adut (2016) and John and Nicola Ellis (2017). The runner up in 2017 was Ben Slade.
A person may be nominated for the Law Society’s President’s Medal if the following criteria are satisfied:
- The person must be a current or former NSW solicitor and a member of The Law Society of New South Wales. However, currently serving Law Society Councillors are excluded from nomination.
- The person is of high standing in the NSW legal profession.
- The person has made a personal and professional contribution which demonstrates achievements in one of more of the following areas:
- improvement in community access to justice
- improvement in NSW or national legal policy or legislation which delivers significant benefits to the NSW community
- significant service or support to NSW solicitors
- promotion or defence of the rule of law
- improvements in the administration of justice in NSW.
Nominations should be made by email to President@lawsociety.com.au or by letter addressed to The President, The Law Society of New South Wales, 170 Phillip Street, Sydney or DX 362 Sydney.
Persons may self nominate or be nominated by another person. Currently serving Law Society Councillors are excluded from nomination. Each nomination must be accompanied by documentation which:
- outlines relevant current and previous professional positions held by the nominee
- explicitly addresses each of the three eligibility criteria
- provides the names and contact details of at least two referees who may be asked to attest to the achievements on which the nomination is based.
If you would like more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations are assessed and the successful candidate determined by a selection panel comprising three people. It is be chaired by the President of the Law Society.
The selection panel receives written applications and may elect to undertake interviews with candidates or to seek further information from those nominating the person. Cross checks are also made with Professional Standards to ensure that those being considered are fit and proper persons.
- The Law Society of New South Wales
- 170 Phillip Street
- Sydney NSW 2000
- DX 362 Sydney
- T: (02) 9926 0333
- E: email@example.com