The Criminal Law Committee reviews and comments on law and policy affecting criminal justice. Our initiatives focus on:
- the interests of people charged with criminal offences
- the rights of prisoners, including the reduction of the prison population
- the interests of intellectually disabled, mentally ill and other people as they are affected by the criminal law
- access to community support services, diversionary and restorative justice options in rural and remote areas
- the rights of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Australians
- multicultural issues as they relate to the criminal law.
To help criminal law practitioners, the Committee also provides the following resources.
Publications and information
Guidelines for Contact with the Complainant in Apprehended Domestic Violence Matters Evidence of Silence AlertPower to demand that a young person subject to bail conditions be brought to the doorCorrective Services NSW – Information for Legal PractitionersNSW Local Court Prosecution Guidelines - Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions NSW Legal Aid NSW Representation Principles for Children's Lawyers 4th EditionDomestic Violence - Where to refer clientsLegal Aid NSW domestic violence resourcesA Criminal Law Survival KitLocal Court Sitting Arrangements: Christmas Period 2016-17