The Civil Litigation Committee promotes understanding of civil litigation and dispute resolution in the profession, offering a support base and information resource for our members. We have more than 15,000 members so becoming involved with our Committee is a great opportunity for you to network, acquire skills and build your career.
The Civil Litigation Committee covers all aspects of civil litigation with a focus on advocacy, evidence and procedure in all jurisdictions. Our activities, direction and focus are very much driven by our members, which include barristers, solicitors and law students. Our Committee is a collegiate body which acts as a peer support network and a useful pool of expertise for people taking on matters outside their comfort zone.
The Committee's main activities include:
- Preparing submissions on topics of interest to members in response to consultation and discussion papers released by various Commissions, Courts and other such bodies. You can read the past submissions made by NSW Young Lawyers here (insert links to submissions page).
- Arranging CPDs on civil litigation law topics (such as advocacy, evidence, discovery, litigation funding, repeal of section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, worker’s compensation, security of payment legislation). You can find out about upcoming CPD events here (insert links to CPD events page).
- Arranging and participating in various activities including (but not limited to):
- the Great Debate, to be held in (a comedy event where a team of solicitors debate a topic against a team of barristers);
- the Day in the Life of a Civil Litigator Program (an opportunity for students to shadow a solicitor/barrister in the civil litigation arena); and
- a Speed Networking Event to be held each year.
- Publication of guides and articles to assist young lawyers working in civil litigation including our quarterly newsletter, the NSW Litigator. A list of our resources can be found here (include link to resources page) including past editions of our newsletter.
COMMITTEE OFFICERS – Anyone is welcome to attend the Committee Meetings
Chair: David Edney
Vice Chair: Andrew Behman
Secretary: Jade Tyrell
2017 MEETING DATES
Held on the first Wednesday evening of every month (no meetings in January or December) from 6 - 7.30pm, at The Law Society of NSW, 170 Phillip Street, Sydney
1 February, 1 March, 5 April, 3 May, 7 June, 5 July, 2 August, 6 September, 4 October, 1 November.
Please visit the bottom of the unsubscribe page, to insert your email to unsubscribe from the committee list.