• Increase Font
  • Decrease Font
  • Print

Your Practising Certificate

To practise as a solicitor in New South Wales, a person must hold an Australian practising certificate issued by the Council of The Law Society of New South Wales or a practising certificate issued by the designated regulatory authority in another Australian jurisdiction.

An Australian practising certificate issued by the Council of The Law Society of New South Wales is subject to compliance with the Legal Profession Uniform Law (NSW), the Legal Profession Uniform Rules and the following;


More information

Practising Certificate Categories and other Conditions – more about practising certificate conditions.

Applying for a Practising Certificate in New South Wales – download an application form and read about the different categories of practising certificates.

Renewing your Practising Certificate – apply for the renewal of your current practising certificate (only available during the renewal period which is from April to June each year).

Changing your Practising Certificate and Practice Details – how to change your practice details and the status of your practising certificate.

Barristers' Applications – procedures for barristers wishing to practise as a solicitor in New South Wales.

Solicitor Identification Card – how to apply for a solicitor identification card.

Fees – fee components explained plus a Scale of Fees.

Notification of Offences and 'Automatic Show-Cause Events' – explains when and how to notify The Law Society of a conviction, charge or 'show-cause event'.

Ceasing to Practise – read about the notification requirements and how to surrender your practising certificate.



  • Law Society Registry
  • Level 5, 170 Phillip Street
  • Sydney NSW 2000
  • DX 362 Sydney
  • T: (02) 9926 0156
  • F: (02) 9926 0257
  • E: registry@lawsociety.com.au