• Increase Font
  • Decrease Font
  • Print

Ceasing to practise

If you are ceasing to practise in New South Wales, you must notify The Law Society of New South Wales in writing so that your records can be amended accordingly.

Please advise the date that you will cease or have ceased to practise. You may either:

  • let your certificate lapse on 30 June when it expires, or
  • surrender your practising certificate.

You must surrender your practising certificate in the following circumstances:

  • If you are moving your principal place of practice to another jurisdiction within Australia. You must apply for a practising certificate in that jurisdiction.
  • If you are transferring to the Bar.

If you choose to surrender your certificate, please return your practising certificate by post or in person to the Law Society Registry. Please refer to the Schedule of Refunds.


  • Law Society Registry
  • Level 5, 170 Phillip Street
  • Sydney NSW 2000
  • DX 362 Sydney
  • T: (02) 9926 0156
  • F: (02) 9926 0257
  • E: registry@lawsociety.com.au