The St George-Sutherland Regional Law Society is an incorporated association dedicated to furthering the best interests of its members and to upholding the ethical standards and public status of the legal profession.
Its members comprise current and former practising members of the NSW legal profession who work and/or live in the St George-Sutherland area and law students. Membership is open to individuals meeting these criteria.
The association organises 5 dinner events throughout the year which feature academic presentations from members of the legal profession and presentations from guest speakers such as barristers, members of the legal profession and Judicial Officers who vividly recount their stories and experiences of practising or presiding over the law. CLE points are available for those who attend the CLE presentation before the dinner meeting.
The association also has an active Young Lawyers section and Young Lawyers’ functions are held periodically, in addition to the members’ dinner meetings.
Being part of the association allows for the frequent exchange of views and ideas between members on matters affecting them in the practice of their profession.
For further details of how to join the association, please refer to the ‘Join Us’ link below.
Last year was an action packed year for our regional law society. The excitement included the following events:
- Our life member, Local Court Magistrate Chris O’Brien, was appointed a deputy Chief Magistrate of New South Wales Local Court. We congratulate him on this excellent achievement.
- We also held our first separate Young Lawyers' get together. The event was a cocktail night at Old Joes Bar, Cronulla. Approximately 20 of our youngest and brightest members were present to enjoy each other’s company and tips for surviving in the profession. We hope to follow up this event with a “Speed Mentoring” night, where younger members will get the chance to spend time with their senior and experienced colleagues.
- Finally we hosted the Hon. Mr Michael Kirby AM as our dinner speaker for our Annual General Meeting. The night was a huge success and our members were enthralled by Mr Kirby’s musings on life and the legal profession.
- We participated as a group in the annual Sutherland to Surf fun run and walk and gathered at the end in our marquee for refreshments and banter. We donated $6,000.00 to 2 local charities from funds raised by us from this event.
- About 125 members, and some non-members, attended our annual CLE day at Club Cronulla where 7 CLE points were available for attending all sessions.
- Tuesday, 21 February - Dinner Meeting. Venue: Cronulla RSL Club
- Tuesday, 21 March - MCLE Day (6 CLE points). Venue: Club Cronulla
- Wednesday, 3 May - Dinner Meeting (Cameron O’Brien Bursary). Venue: To be Advised
- Tuesday, 18 July - Dinner Meeting (Young Lawyers' Night). Venue: Opah Restaurant, Cronulla
- Sunday, 23 July - Sutherland 2 Surf Fundraiser. Venue: Wanda Beach
- Wednesday, 30 August - Dinner Meeting (Judiciary Night). Venue: Rocksalt Italian Restaurant, Jannali
- Wednesday, 25 October - AGM. Venue: Como Hotel
You are welcome to apply to join our law society if you are a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and reside or work in the St George-Sutherland Shire area or if you are studying law or have completed a law course and are not yet working.
We have recently introduced student membership and pride ourselves on creating opportunities through networking for our youngest of members.
For prices and other membership details, please see our membership form.
Rowley & Associates
L3, 19- 21 Central Road
Miranda NSW 2228
Tel: (02) 9525 0991
Fax: (02) 4228 8288
H A Miedzinski Lawyers
7/266 Princes Highway
Sylvania NSW 2224
Tel: (02) 9522 2200
Fax: (02) 9522 2211
Elliot Tuthill Solicitors
119 Cronulla Street
Cronulla NSW 2230
Tel: (02) 9523 6666
Fax: (02) 9523 8419
Haydon Fowler Corbett Jessop Solicitors
L2, 34 Banksia Road
Caringbah NSW 2229
Tel: (02) 9525 0455
Fax: (02) 9540 1321
PO Box 662,
Jannali NSW 2226
Tel: 0428 394 673
Immigration Advice & Rights Centre
PO Box Q1283 Queen Victoria Building
Sydney NSW 1230
Tel: (02) 82340700
- Regional Coordinator
- Law Society of NSW
- 170 Phillip Street
- Sydney NSW 2000
- DX 362 Sydney
- T: (02) 9926 0106
- E: Regional Coordinator